Healthy Salmon Patties (Dairy free, Gluten free)
I am OBSESSED with this recipe at the moment. Incredibly nutrient-dense, satisfying, and easy on the gut. 5 minutes to whip up, 25-30 minutes in the oven and you’re ready to go! Plus they are freaking yummmm.
Let’s talk salmon for a sec... it’s a constant battle of loving it, and wanting to consume it for the incredible taste & health benefits but not wanting to consume farmed salmon.
Why not farmed?
A few reasons ..
✖️Farmed salmon are fed antibiotics (enemy to our microbiome)
✖️Content of feed
✖️Feed being supplemented with chemicals (to achieve deep red colour)
✖️Testing of farmed salmon has shown accumulation of pollutants (e.g. polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) concentrations in farmed salmon were found to be 8 times than wild)
From what I’ve read, the brand paramount red salmon is wild-caught and dolphin-friendly
🐬 🙌🏼 (you can get this from Woolies, Coles, IGA) I am, however, open to being corrected/ open to recommendations for other brands.
- 2 X 100g tins of wild-caught salmon
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 1/2 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2-1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 4-5 tbsp buckwheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray.
- Drain salmon from the tin and add to a medium-sized bowl. Using the back of a fork, break into finer pieces.
- Add grated carrot, zucchini, spices, sesame seeds, and egg and mix well.
- Add in buckwheat flour and stir, add another tbsp of flour if the mixture is too wet (it should be sticky but able to form a rough ball).
- Roll into balls, place on a baking tray and press down to slightly flatten. Place in the oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, flip the balls and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy straight away or store in the fridge for 3 days.